Friday, February 27, 2009

And They Took MORE Blood

As I prepare for the forthcoming surgery there have been several trips to the doctor's office and the lab for bloodwork. Everytime I step through the door, they take more blood. I don't mind. I even enjoy watching but it is so hard to get the blood out of me. When they took just one vial today it went ok, but when they had to take six it almost didn't happen. My blood clots super well. Yay for not bleeding to death; not yay for an early stroke or heart attack.

(While I was in the waiting room at the lab to have a large amount of blood drawn I pulled the book out of my purse. I was reading Dracula. )

The dr. told me earlier this week that he's expecting to find something wrong during the exploratory surgery so he wouldn't be surprised if they have to make three or even four incisions to fix problems. I kind of freaked out after that. Two I can handle, but FOUR?! Come on.

Today they ultrasounded me (internally, with the long stick stuck in my hoo-ha.) Apparently I have a newly arrived cyst on one of my ovaries so I expect that will come off during the surgery so I'm already up to 3 incisions for sure. And I spent the morning after that news freaking out some. I know its not a big deal, but still...

And they are testing me every few days for pregnancy because then they won't do the surgery. I should win some kind of award, but no surgery. This would be the time when my body would decide to work-just when I'm being proactive about the problem. So, to ensure that I don't get pregnant, husband and I have to contracept for the next few days. They didn't prescribe birth control because my hormones are right where they should be so I had to buy condoms as part of my efforts to get pregnant. Seems wrong, I know.


7 comments:

Alissa said...

wow! that's a whole lot of blood. now imagine it coming out of your 6 month old... that's how much they took from Lucas.

please let me know the date of the multiple incisions. prayers for you!

i really hope they find something easily fixable.

Mia said...

Seriously? You're doing all of this and NOW you decide to start taking precautions??? I was so happy to avoid all of the other stuff when I got pregnant at the beginning of my testing. (Plus, I don't want to hear about your condoms. I don't need those pictures in my head.)

Good luck with the surgery! I know it's weird to say, but I really hope they find something. And that it's fixable, of course. Lots of prayers!

Coop said...

N is also at the crazy blood testing stage ... they struggle even finding a decent vein to get blood out of her. She gave blood a week and a half ago, then was at the clinic on Wednesday and they want to test something else now to get those eggs coming ... so now she has to wait for her period to start again & rush straight off to the hospital to give blood again ... who knows what they are after this time. Either way the Doc seems pretty confident they can get the eggs flowing ... then of course she has to get to me to ;0P Here's hoping for both a baby Forbes & baby Cooper around the same time? (Of course they don't really have to worry about if she is getting preggers at the moment, but they don't know that).

dastew said...

If their born on the same day can we give them Roman numerals to reflect which one came first? Also wife failed to mention that the doctors told her I'm not a man.

Kristi said...

Can you elaborate on the doc saying you aren't a man?

dastew said...

Low testerone levels. Still within normal limits but on the low end of normal. Makes me want to go hunting and kill something.

Wendy said...

Oh the irony of it all.