Thursday, January 28, 2010

A little preparation

So while I wait for the drugs to take effect and make a baby inside me I've been focusing on things I can control and change to maybe encourage such baby making. Since I've got this extra time, I figured that I can focus on being as healthy as possible so that when the doctor impregnates me (with husband's sperm, I hope) the environment will be the most hospitable for growing life. It helps to have goals and takes my mind off the maddening procedures and tests and disappointments and other things that I can't control so much.

I have been taking my prenatal vitamins regularly for the past several months. I usually get frustrated with the lack of pregnancy and quit for weeks at a time, but I guess I finally realized that won't help.

I exercise regularly. Mostly running. Outside whenever possible, but on the treadmill when it's too cold or rainy or snowing. Even in NY I've had some days this winter when I've been able to run outside.

Husband and I gave us soda, candy and chips for the year, which should help me avoid gestational diabetes and a child who is born pre-hyped up on sugar.

I eat yogurt almost everyday, if it's in the house. I don't really like yogurt, but I've been told that it can help with the whole hospitable environment issue. And I had to replace my morning candy break with something.

These are the physical things I've been doing to prepare my body for growing a baby, but I'm also emphasizing the spiritual and mental as well, but more on those later.

And it brightened my morning when I ran into a friend in the parking lot of the doctor's office. It's always good to know I'm not doing this alone, in so many ways.

9 comments:

Alissa said...

HUGS! Keep us updated. I like hearing what's going on inside your uterus.

Summer said...

Have you ever tried Greek yogurt? So much yummier than the overly-sweet stuff. GOOD LUCK!!

Roy said...

I suggest you just buy one of our kids. Advantages: no pregnancy or labor, they're all potty trained (and smart too), and you could avoid the exercise and healthy eating. Disadvantages: it might be illegal. But you get your pick of the litter.

Coop said...

Noƫlle found it hilarious that Stew's 'dirty' sperm have to be 'washed' to 'extract the best quality' for IUI/AI - Good Luck :D - Let us know when he is sufficently clean ...

dastew said...

Coop, don't be bad mouthing my sperm. They're perfectly clean, you know as clean as a bunch of guys living together in an apartment. I never thought I'd have to say those words.

dastew said...

Roy we'd totally take your kids. In fact once they're older if you guys want to send them our way for a week so that you can have time with your wife alone feel free.

Mrs Coops said...

Good luck with it all, (I used to hate yoghurt, so started with the yummiest flavour I could get, which was strawberry, at the time) hope every little thing helps... :)

Wendy said...

Good for you trying to be healthy. I love hearing your updates and hope for the best for you guys.

Candace said...

i love you cousin! Hang in there. prayers for you and hubby!